Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lite Citrus Dream Bars

I have been craving sweets lately, but I wanted to make something that was not too heavy since bathing suit season is quickly approaching. So with my waistline in mind, I concocted this summery treat that will be just enough to suppress those cravings. Plus, I used some fresh clementine zest and lemon pie filling so I can rationalize that its practically just fruit, right?! OK maybe not, but whatevs...it was yummy either way.



Lite Citrus Dream Bars

Ingredients:
1 box angel food cake
1 box lemon pie filling
2 1/4 cup water
2 egg yokes
3T Splenda
1/3 box low fat graham crackers
2 clementines (could also use 1 orange)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Follow the instructions on the box to make the lemon pie filling. I had to combine the lemon mix with 2 1/4 cup of water, 3Tbls. Splenda (or sugar), and 2 egg yokes in a small sauce pan. While continuously stirring, I brought the mixture up to a boil and let that simmer for 2 minutes. This will thicken up to be the consistency of a pudding.

Then I grated the zest of two clementines into the lemon filling to give it that extra pop of flavor and freshness.



After removing the lemon filling from the heat, I needed to prepared my baking pan. I lined the 9x12in dish with foil and sprayed the bottom (don't spray the sides, just the bottom) with cooking spray. I lined the pan with the low fat graham crackers. These should only be in a single layer on the bottom- no overlap.



In a large mixing bowl, combine the angel food cake mix with the lemon pie filling. To combine, use a spatula to fold everything together. It will look really light and fluffy. 


 Pour this mixture over the graham crackers and smooth it out to create an even layer. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees. You will know its done when the top is a nice golden brown.  



Almost done! Just cut into bars and sprinkle with a little more clementine zest. 



Now I can munch on this while enjoying my juicy Bravo shows and not feel like such a fatty-fatty 2x4 plopped on the couch. Loves it!

Would also be yummy with a thin lemon glaze made from confectioners sugar, lemon juice, some more zest, and a little water. But that would have meant another trip to the store for me and I was too eager to just dig in! Totally yummy as is:)

XOXO Katie


**Don't forget to enter the A. Liz Adventures giveaway- all entries must be in by midnight tonight. Visit this post to see more details**

Best Blogger Tips Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment